Thursday, December 16, 2010

Procrastination vs. Priorities

It's officially the eleventh hour and I just spent quite a bit of time looking through coupons to prepare for a trip to Publix and Wal-Mart to get some ingredients to make some yummy treats for the party.  Between the two stores, I'm expecting to save $8.75 just with the coupons.  My money will go much further at Publix where I'm only buying items that are on sale as BOGO (buy one, get one free).  


You could call this procrastination...  My deadline for a clean house is tomorrow at 7:00.  Even with saving about $9, did I really come out ahead?  Probably not.  But part of my "personality" that contributes to my tendencies to hoard, is the desire to save money (save just about anything else too!  hee hee)  One of my favorite crackers is BOGO at Publix this week (starting today) and I have 3 coupons to save $1 off the purchase of 2 crackers.  This is pretty exciting, because I've been waiting for them to go on sale for about a year!  Seriously, I refuse to buy them unless they're BOGO.  Having a coupon on top of the BOGO is pure gravy!  My couponing friends know what I'm talking about.  They may, or may not think I'm CRAZY!


This directly affects my priorities.  I chose to take the time to clip coupons INSTEAD of cleaning my clutter!  My priorities SHOULD be de-cluttering right now, but I'm a bit overwhelmed with this last bit that I have to do.  I have to make the decision now whether or not to forgo the sorting and just stash the "junk."  If so, I'll have to sort at a later date.  This is not ideal, but sleeping is very desirable and very elusive during these past two weeks.  

I've been burning the candle at both ends and I have a lot to show for it, but I'm really hoping to not get sick.  I have a tendency to get hives (and fever blisters) when my body's defenses are down.  The hives is mainly on the palms of my hands and soles of my feet.  There's a specific name for this kind of hives, but I can't think of what it's called right now.  So far I've avoided the hives, but I'm on borrowed time.  I believe that God is helping me get through this "challenge" and he's keeping the hives and fever blisters and/or cold symptoms at bay while I take care of business.  


Today I was cleaning the built-in shelves where our TV, DVR and DVD player are.  It was pretty dusty!  The shelves are really deep and held a lot of stuff I hadn't used or even seen since last Christmas.  You're not going to believe what I found behind the DVR (digital video recorder/cable box)...  you'll probably never guess...  unless you've read my blog from the beginning...  THE STUPID LIBRARY BOOK (that was due last May).  I couldn't believe it was behind the DVR!  I never would have checked there!  Near it was the receipt from the library from when I originally checked it out for the kids.  I've already paid for them to replace the book ($4).  They said if I found it I could bring it in with my receipt (showing that I paid the $4) and they would reimburse me, or I could just keep it.  I don't EVER want to see that book again!  The boys really enjoyed reading it today though, so maybe I'll keep it.  

I'm really excited about tomorrow night!  Soon to be TONIGHT! (it's almost 12 am).  Today I made Creme Brulee Cheesecake Bars.  It's a new recipe that I couldn't wait to try.  I haven't sampled it yet, but it sure smelled delicious while baking.  I'm going to make my favorite spinach dip and some homemade egg nog  and a batch of white tr*sh.  I really don't like to even type those words together.  I consider it disrespectful, but until I come up with a better name for the yummy white chocolate concoction with the Chex cereals and stuff, it will have to do.  


I'm a bit anxious about having guests.  I can't remember the last time I entertained.  Seriously, I can't.  That's pretty sad :O(   I'm so looking forward to having friends over.  If you haven't contacted me and still want to come, that's okay.  The more the merrier!


I might not have time to post before the party, but will post on Saturday and let you know how it went (and if I got the house ready in time!)


1 comment:

  1. I hope you have a house full of friends and laughter tonight! Laura, I am so sorry but tonight is my home group so I can't make it but I am sure your house looks fabulous and you will wow everyone with your amazing culinary talents! Congrats on being so committed and so transparent with your process. It is inspiring.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you have to say about my new blog. Leave me a comment.