Tuesday, November 23, 2010

My Newest Hobby...Fondant Cakes

This is my most recent cake which I made for a friend's baby shower last Friday.  It's a chocolate cake inside with chocolate buttercream frosting.  After cutting into it, I took a quick picture to show what it looked like underneath the fondant.

Before this cake I made a cake for another friend's baby shower two weeks prior to this one.  She is expecting a girl, named Ivy (she still hasn't arrived yet!)
This one was my most intricate design (of the recent fondant phase of mine).  They don't make cookie/fondant cutters of ivy (or at least I don't think they do) so I had studied photos of English Ivy, which I believe is the most common variety.  At least around my house it is!  I hand cut each leaf with a paring knife and then used the knife (and tried a toothpick) to make the veins on the leaves.  The vines and tendrils were made with the buttercream frosting.  The inside of the cake was a double-layer chocolate cake with vanilla buttercream frosting.  


And my very first attempt was two weeks prior to this cake.  Our small group was celebrating my friend's birthday and I offered to make the cake so I could practice using fondant for the upcoming Baby Ivy shower.  I didn't have very much time to complete this cake, so besides being my first attempt at fondant, it's not as great as it could've been if I wasn't rushed to deliver the cake (at our Monday night small group).
The inside of this cake is the same as the Baby Ivy cake:  chocolate with vanilla buttercream frosting.  I didn't get many pictures of this cake because I was so rushed.


I'm available to do more if you're local and you have an event coming up, just let me know!  I can also do cupcakes like the ones that I posted a while back for my son's 5th birthday in October.


Lots more to talk about, but not tonight.  I need my (beauty) sleep!  Goodnight!

1 comment:

  1. Your cakes look awesome, laura! I'm very impressed. =)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you have to say about my new blog. Leave me a comment.