Thursday, October 21, 2010

I've Got Some Explaining To Do

My husband read my post from last night this morning.  He usually does read them and will comment on how I could've made them sound better or something like that.  He told me he felt a bit embarrassed that I "said" MY side in all caps.  Maybe because I "said" it twice during the post "speaking" about my closet cleaning frenzy yesterday.  I would like to set the record straight for my friends and family who take the time to read my humble little blog... the only reason for the caps on MY side of the closet, was to differentiate between HIS side and MY side.  That's it.  But to further clarify this point.  MY side of the closet took up about 90% of the closet.  Earlier I told him I thought it took up about 3/4 of the closet, but after removing the remaining stuff (that was MINE) on the floor today from HIS side, I think it was definitely closer to 90%.  And in case you don't believe me.  I took a photo of MY side (after cleaning up and tossing clothes) and HIS side.  Granted HE got rid of more clothes than I did.  Which is funny because I had more to start with.  But I guess that's why I'm the hoarder and he's the tosser in our family.  
Here's a picture of MY side.

Here's a picture of HIS side.
Here's a picture of both combined.
The black table that you see a corner of in the lower left part of the picture is part of his old drawing table (embellished with lots of stickers).  His desk/drawing table is the reason behind clearing out the closet.  Before yesterday, you could take about two steps into our closet.

It was being used for storage, but very disorganized.  I had a LARGE pile of CLEAN clothes on the floor that was hindering walking into our walk-in closet.  We had our dresser in there since we moved in (10/02).  This morning it finally came out (although it doesn't have a permanent home yet, that requires cleaning up the master bedroom first, YIKES!)  That will have to be put on the back burner for now.  The kitchen is overflowing with dirty dishes on the counters and in the sinks and I have a BUNCH of dirty laundry that is taunting me.  Plus there's the homeschooling.  My 7 year old daughter loathes math, and whines at just the mention of doing it.  My just turned 5 year old son LOVES anything that has to do with homeschool.  It's funny to see the differences between the two of them.  Anyway, back to the subject at hand, the closet.

Remember when I was asking in an earlier post if anyone had any leads on an inexpensive office space for my recently displaced husband?  Well last Tuesday, we (the whole family) drove around just looking for an inexpensive office space that would have most of the benefits of his last office space.  We found out that they DON'T EXIST.

Ironically there's an Executive Office Building a stones throw away from our house.  Like a five minute walk (or less).  It was advertised online as having an office for $250.  We met with the realtor and she said it had been rented recently.  I really think it was bait and switch advertising, but I kept it to myself.  The smallest office she had available started at $300/month and if we wanted to have a month-to-month lease it would be starting at $350/month.  In Palm Harbor we looked at an office building that had office spaces starting at $175/month, but it was a really old building and there were no amenities like WI-FI included.  We would've had to call BrightHouse or some other internet service provider to get a modem in his office.  That alone is about $50/month (I think).  

So...  one night after he told me about getting kicked out of his great office space, while I was drifting off to dreamland, the idea hit me.  It sounded pretty "far out" (to borrow a term from Greg Brady) but it was crazy enough that it just. might. work.  (I don't remember where that quote is from, I think from some Saturday morning cartoon?)  The idea was for him to work in our walk-in closet in our bedroom.  It would solve the main problem with him working at home, and that is that the kids (and I, yelling at them to be quiet) make too much noise!  

We have a pretty small house.  It has 3 bedrooms.  Before the boys came along, my husband had an office (in one of the bedrooms).  Now the office is our daughter's room and the two boys share a room.  My husband is now forced to work at his desk in our bedroom.  It is not ideal by any means, but we had learned to deal with it.  Until...  he was offered some extra work in August from Marvel Comics.  He got the perfect office space for an excellent price, because it was leased from his former employer who is very kind.  During the month of September my husband became ultra-productive.  It was uncanny how much work he accomplished while working at an office.  He was definitely spoiled there.  After having a perfect office space and then not having one, you realize how much you need it (or something similar to it).

The interesting thing about his NEW OFFICE SPACE in our walk-in closet, is that it is a comparable size to the offices I was shown in two different Executive Office Suite buildings (we looked at the "cheaper" office spaces, which translates into an office about the size of our closet).  We got him "moved in" to his new office space right around lunchtime today.  
Here's a picture of his NEW office!
We decided this morning (at my suggestion) to use his old drawing table for a desk instead of using his desk which has two shelves above the desk that cannot be removed.  It's hard to describe, but it's a comtemporary-styled design with black flat surfaces and silver metal poles holding up the desk's 4 shelves total (including the working surface and a shelf below the main desk).  We would've had to remove and switch around the clothes-hanging thingies (Closet Maid is the manufacturer) to fit his desk into the closet.  It would've taken a lot longer to do, so we went with the drawing table instead.  It seriously doesn't have to be fancy.  It's not like he's entertaining clients in his office (that would be funny, though, to see that).  But anyway, I thinks it's totally going to work out.  I'll let you know how it's going after he gets into a routine and we'll see if it's quiet enough in there for him to be uber-productive once again.  Btw (means by the way, for all of you non-texters who might be reading this) Marvel Comics has offered my husband a lot of stuff recently.  He is expected to do two monthly books for DC Comics, and now that Marvel is giving him some more work, we will be able to breathe a little bit easier around here (financially).  Especially when we're saving $350/month by NOT paying someone for an office space!  God is SO AWESOME!  We are SO thankful to Him for the work.  When you're a freelance artist, it's often feast or famine.  We will praise Him during both.  We are fully aware that EVERYTHING we have is a gift from God.  Amen.


I'll have to wait until tomorrow to tell you about my shopping trip to Publix this evening.  There's MORE to the story.  But here's a photo of the receipt (at least the bottom of the receipt where it shows how much money I saved!)  My personal goal when I shop there is to see if I can get the "money saved" total higher than the actual amount spent.  Which today I did!
To be continued...
P.S.  I did do the second exercise DVD this morning.  It will be fun to see how sore my muscles are when I wake up tomorrow!  (yes, that's sarcasm)




No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you have to say about my new blog. Leave me a comment.