Saturday, October 16, 2010

The Birthday Boy!

 My oldest son turned five years old last week.  We celebrated his birthday with a large group of friends at one of our favorite local parks.  We had dinner and cupcakes and barely enough time to load up the van before it was pitch dark.  I am always prepared and brought a flashlight AND an battery-powered lantern that came in handy to make sure we gathered everything we brought.  Thanks to everyone who helped clean up!  The party was a success and I am relieved that it's over.  I get really stressed out over events like this, getting everything ready, making sure I remember to bring everything, etc...


I made 67 cupcakes and then transported them safely to the party (thank you Publix for the inexpensive cupcake carriers you sell in your bakery!)  The party's theme was Star Wars and I bought online the coolest cake topper I had ever seen (for a child-themed party).  It was two separate four inch figures.  One of Luke Skywalker and the other, Darth Vader.  The cool part about these figurines was they each held a lightsaber and when you pushed the button on their back, the lightsaber lit up.  The MAJOR bummer about the lightsabers was that THEY ONLY LIT UP WHEN YOU WERE HOLDING THE BUTTON!  That took a lot of the fun out of it.  At least for a cake topper.  Afterwards they could be played with like normal action figures, so I guess you get your money's worth.  I'm sorry I don't have a photo of them to show you.  I can get one, but not right now (too difficult & too late at night).  


But each cupcake had these Stormtrooper or Darth Vader plastic rings on them which I also loved.  Here's a pic of the rings...
Here are the finished cupcakes.  Finished VERY early the morning before the party.  Thank goodness the party was in the evening.  I was able to do other last minute things during the day, without making us late for our own party.
Two people at the party asked me if I could do cupcakes for upcoming parties for them.  I was flattered and look forward to possibly doing that for them.  Who knows?  Maybe I might have a new part-time job making cupcakes.


The first picture in the the post is my son in front of all his presents from the party.  Take another look at the picture.  You probably wouldn't be able to tell that he had a low grade fever.  I didn't.  Not until it was time to tuck him in for bed.  He was burning up.  The next two days he had a fever that went up, up, up and then down, then up, then back down, you get the picture.  His actual birthday was two days after the party and he was so miserable that day.  Well technically in the mornings he was quite chipper, but the afternoons and evenings brought back the fever.  Fever with aches and chills were the only symptoms that he had.  Then the fever broke and he had a bit of a scratchy throat, but it never got any worse than that.  Thank goodness.


We had planned to go to Busch Gardens for his actual birthday, but nixed the idea for obvious reasons.  The consolation prize was dinner at his favorite restaurant.  If he was better we would've gone to Hella's Restaurant at the Sponge Docks in Tarpon Springs.  It's our favorite Greek restaurant.  But, due to not feeling well, we went with his second choice....  McDonald's.  His fever was down before we left, but once we got there he complained that he was cold (chills) and so my husband took him out to our mini-van so he could warm up.  The rest of us finished eating without the birthday boy, so that idea really backfired.  We came home ate some more cupcakes, opened presents from the family and he went straight to bed (without protest).  The poor little guy.


Anyway that was the excitement at our house last week.  This week it has been back to normal around here.  Soon I want to tell you about our homeschooling and also about hoarding, but that's for another day.  I REALLY need to get to bed earlier (note to self).  Goodnight!

1 comment:

  1. So sorry to hear the birthday boy wasn't feeling well; poor guy!!

    Glad to hear he's back to normal! :-)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you have to say about my new blog. Leave me a comment.