Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Checking in...

I have a few minutes to check in with everyone (my devoted readers) so let me fill you in on what I've been up to around the house.  First of all on Monday (yesterday) I DID finally do the laundry.  I had about 5 loads I think (it was all a blur).  I did one load at night before bed (after I had sorted out everything) and dried it in the dryer when I got up in the morning.  My next couple of loads I dried the larger/heavier items out on the clothesline.  I didn't take a picture this time.  You can look back to a previous post to see what my clothesline looks like (if you're a visual-type person).  I was very excited that because I got the clothes out on the line early enough during the day (and did not have any afternoon rain) that ALL of the clothes were dry when I brought them in.  That means I didn't have to "finish them" in the dryer (saving more money!)  Although "finishing them" in the dryer does have some benefits, like soft clothes/towels but at least I'm saving money on electricity, right?


I looked for the elusive library book again today...  Nowhere to be found.  I think I'm going to have to admit defeat and buy it online to give to the library in its place.  Thank goodness it's an inexpensive book.  I just know I'll be frustrated one day when the actual library copy shows up somewhere in my house!

Today I had some lofty goals which I did not get accomplished.  The area around my desk is completely piled up with "stuff."  I went through one section of it today (looking for the library book) but seemed to just displace most of the junk.  It's a work in progress, I had hoped to clean it all up tonight, but starting this week, I made a pact with myself to start getting to bed at a decent hour.  My body has always needed a lot of sleep and for the past few weeks, I've really been pushing it.  I am starting to feel the effects of not enough sleep:  my glands are swollen in my neck (under my jaw), dry nose, sore throat (not too bad, yet) and malaise.

One of the things I did today while sorting through some piles of "stuff," was to participate in my first ever "webinar."  It was free, which is totally in my monthly budget for webinars.  I thought it would be cool (and it was.)  It was hyped as "Homeschool Bargains Galore - Freebies, Great Buys, and More!" That, got my attention.  For those of you who don't know, in just a few weeks I will begin full-time homeschooling my oldest two children (ages 7 and almost 5).  I am SO excited to get the opportunity to do this.  I have a general plan of everything for the year, but now need to break it down into weekly portions.  

For those of you interested in homeschooling resources (mainly curricula and other books), this website is for you!  The man who founded the Homeschool Buyer's Co-op spoke about his dream of giving homeschoolers the purchasing power similar to public schools buy buying curricula in bulk!  The website has so many cool things to offer, but I like especially that you can choose the discount that you want to "buy" at.  There's a drop down menu that lets you choose what percentage off you want (based on what's offered).  When enough people order the curriculum by a certain cut-off time and the certain number of people (quota) is met, then you qualify (and everyone else) for that discount/percentage off retail price. 

He said that their prices are rarely ever beaten, but if that does happen, they'll email you with the company offering it at a lower price.  If you're a homeschooler or maybe wanting to supplement your child's education, check out the website link above.


I'll keep you all updated on my adventures in homeschooling.  We will be learning ALL about the state of Florida!  EVERYTHING you ever wanted to know about Florida!  At least that's the plan.


Tomorrow I plan on spending another day attackling (not a typo- my sons use this word when tackling each other ie. wrestling) the piles of "stuff" around my desk.

2 comments:

  1. Oooooohhhh...I'm so checking out the site. And bravo on the loads of laundry. I must confess I keep stepping over mine and dressing the girls from what still remains in the dryer. Yep. That's real life in this household. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the homeschooling link! We have a few years to go, obviously, but I am pretty convinced already that Zach will not see a public school classroom.

    I just haven't yet decided on whether to homeschool or attempt to find the money (ack!) to send him to a private, Christian school. I guess time will tell.

    Kudos to you for homeschooling!!

    How is Florida for homeschool support? We have looked into it in Texas (Austin) and were very happy to see the communities and support that exists there, such as activities and field trips even.

    YOU GO!! :-)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you have to say about my new blog. Leave me a comment.