Sunday, August 1, 2010

Baby Steps

Well... after having a few days off from my new blogging adventure, I'm back to document a tiny step forward in my quest to declutter.  This time it's my email inbox.  What?  You say.  That doesn't really count as clutter, does it?  Well yes, it does.  Especially when I have about 8000 emails on my server and about 1500 are unread. (I feel the need to explain that my emails/mail program has been occasionally re-setting my emails as unread, EVEN though I had already read them, just hadn't fully deleted them.)  Some of the ones I put in my trash even jumped out and went back in my inbox as unread!  We still can't figure out what's up with my email, but it could be wonky due to so many emails on the server.  It slowed my computer down so much I couldn't take it anymore.


Now before you jump to any conclusions about me being very popular and having lots of email pen pals all over the world, let me set you straight.  I have daily subscriptions to money-saving websites, cooking/recipe-type emails, and many of my daughter's school-related emails taking up valuable space in my inbox AND as my husband likes to remind me, on the server.  


Before getting online this evening, I thought I'd take care of some business and clear out these old emails that I really don't need anymore.  A lot of them are very easy to part with.  Like the ones from the Discovery Store (from the Discovery Channel) touting DVD sets of Dirty Jobs or Shark Week.  (I really need to unsubscribe to that one).  But the personal emails from far away friends and family are difficult to get rid of.  For right now, I'm keeping those (there really aren't that many).  It looked like the last time I had done this was in January.  I know I should really keep up with it, but just like my messy house, I'm usually too busy to take the time to do it.  Then it gets overwhelming due to the volume of emails/stuff.

I was frustrated while cleaning out my inbox because around 10 pm, a big thunderstorm rolled in and since I work on a desktop computer, I was interrupted when a nearby lightning strike made our power go out for a couple of seconds.  I tried turning the computer back on after waiting a few minutes, but it wouldn't turn back on.  I started to panic!  I decided to get ready for bed, but thought I'd give it one more try and when I turned on the computer it came back on.  YEA!  I could now actually delete all of those emails and start my post that you are reading now.


I'm turning over a new leaf and look forward to getting and keeping my inbox clean as well as my house!  

Friday night I started a post about couponing, but I had bit off more than I could chew, so to speak. So I haven't published it.  It's a LOT of information and I'm debating just letting you go to my favorite websites to read it from them.  I've included their "buttons" on my blog.  Feel free to check them out:  Live FabuLESS by Jodi Furman was the catalyst for my foray into couponing.  After I found her site, I found A Few Short Cuts by Amanda.  Amanda has children with food allergies and has a lot of gluten-free. dairy-free recipes.  She's so creative in the kitchen.  I'm truly inspired by her. 

I'm also in love with the websites that are similarly named,  "My (insert a city name here) Mommy."  I am subscribed to My Baton Rouge Mommy and My Dallas Mommy.  I haven't looked for one nearby, like, My Tampa Mommy, but I've found one in IL called My Springfield Mommy and one in AZ, My Phoenix Mommy.  They have similar deals and some are only local, but most are national.  They're really on top of a lot of good deals.  


I added I heart Publix to my blog and the only two blogs that I follow:  profoundly seth and two shades of pink.

On a totally unrelated note...  I have to share a recipe with you.  Yes, I HAVE TO.  A couple people have asked me for the recipe, so I thought I'd share it with everyone/anyone reading this.  It's for a key lime pie.  It's so easy to make.  I LOVE IT!


Nellie & Joe's Recipes from the Keys (this is straight off their website) 
Nellie & Joe's Key Lime Pie

    •    9" graham cracker pie crust
    •    14 oz. can of sweetened condensed milk
    •    3 egg yolks (whites not used)
    •    ½ cup Nellie & Joe's Key West Lime Juice (found in unrefrigerated juice section at Publix!)
       
Combine milk, egg yolks and lime juice.
Blend until smooth.
Pour filling into pie crust and bake at 350º for 15 minutes.
Allow to stand 10 minutes before refrigerating.
Just before serving, top with freshly whipped cream, or meringue, and garnish with lime slices. 





If you'd like to make your own graham cracker pie crust, here's the recipe that I use:


Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 7 Minutes
Ready In: 17 Minutes
Servings: 8

the mixture presses nicely into a pie pan, and can be pre-baked or just chilled.


INGREDIENTS: 

1 1/2 cups finely ground graham cracker crumbs (I use one wrapped section from box)
1/3 cup white sugar
6  tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional) (I didn't use this for key lime pie recipe)

DIRECTIONS: 

1. Mix graham cracker crumbs, sugar, melted butter or
margarine, (and cinnamon) until well blended . Press mixture into an 8 or 9 inch pie plate.
2. Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 7 minutes. Cool. If recipe calls for unbaked pie shell, just chill for about 1 hour.

I didn't pre-bake crust for key lime pie recipe.


If you like to cook/bake I've got lots more recipes to share (some original, some not).  Let me know by posting a comment if you'd like more recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you have to say about my new blog. Leave me a comment.