Wednesday, July 28, 2010

My two cents... about free movies

This morning the whole family drove to Tampa to the Citrus Park Mall's Regal Cinemas Free Family Film Festival.  Astro Boy was playing this week and my husband was just as excited to see it as our two boys.  My husband is a digital colorist in the comic book industry and Astro Boy is a very famous comic book in Japan from way back. 


We met some friends at the theaters before the movie began, but let me describe what it was like getting there 30 minutes early...  When we arrived there was a snake-like line formed almost out the doors consisting mainly of two separate groups of day-care kids or day-camp kids and a few other moms with kids.  We waited about 5 minutes in line before it started moving.  Everybody just filed in to the theater and read the signs to determine where to go to see the movie that you chose (the other movie playing was The Tale of Despereaux).  They had four theaters showing Astro Boy with one Regal Cinemas employee standing in front of them to direct traffic after the first theater became full, he would then open up the next one.  It was interesting to me that no one really acknowledged the customers (if you could call us that since we technically didn't pay to get in).  I'm not sure if the theater kept track of the people who see the movies somehow or they just don't care how many people visit their theater so early in the morning. 


We found a theater to accommodate our large group (of 11) and the grown ups noticed that the seats smelled musty and moldy and altogether not too appetizing.  What can you expect for FREE?  I tried to ignore it during the movie (I'm kind of a germ-a-phobe.)


The movie was really good for adults, but not so good for young kids.  It dealt with issues of a father losing his son, then he created a robot of his son (using some of his son's DNA & memory- I'm not sure how he transplanted the memory, but hey, it's an animated movie!)  The robot son just reminded him more of his dead son and so he abandoned him.  It was pretty heavy.  Near the end the father, under direct orders of the "president" of the town, was forced to remove the life source of his robot son.  The son willingly laid on the table and let his father remove the life source from his chest with love for his father.  I was reminded of the Biblical story of Abraham and his son, Isaac.  If you have a Bible handy, check out the story in Genesis 22:1-18.  It is so dramatic as a parent to read that passage about God testing Abraham's loyalty.  God asked Abraham to sacrifice his only son, Isaac on an altar as a burnt offering.  Abraham obeyed God and was about to slay his son, when God stopped him and said, "Do not lay a hand on the boy."  Suffice it to say that the movie really got to me.  I teared up a few times during the movie but during this scene I couldn't stop the tears from falling.  Thank goodness I always have a pack of tissues in my purse.  My friend sitting next to me commented on my tears (during a kids' movie), but I really can't help it, it's just who I am.


I checked out The Children's Place after the movie, but couldn't find any deals worth buying.  The Children's Place at Countryside mall usually stocks a few different things, so I might check there next Wednesday to take advantage of the 15% off discount (see yesterday's post if you don't know what I'm talking about).


I can't wait to share with you my favorite money-saving websites and more information about my compulsive hoarding.  I'll have to save that for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you have to say about my new blog. Leave me a comment.