Friday, July 30, 2010

Look who's on twitter!

I realize for most people (especially 20 somethings) that joining twitter is really not such a big deal.  But, for an early 40 something (who is, or used to be extremely private) it's front page news!  Here is the progression of what is contributing to "the new me." 

Last fall, the family and I drove from FL to IL for my littlest brother's wedding.  It just happened to coincide with my hometown's annual festival, called the BroomCorn Festival.  It was there that some of my classmates (from the class of '88) begged, pleaded and finally convinced me to join Facebook to keep in touch.  I was vehemently opposed to any such sharing of personal information for the masses to see, but I did keep up with and find some friends with whom I had lost touch.  Which was nice.  I rarely post a status update, but often comment on friend's statuses (statusii?).  Then...  I felt the need to start a blog.  Mainly to document the transformation of my house from very messy to presentable (I'll settle with that for now).  My favorite internet guru for people like me says we are living in CHAOS which stands for Can't Have Anyone Over Syndrome!  You can learn more about flylady at www.flylady.net


It wasn't until yesterday that some friends told me that they would be very interested in learning more about saving money with coupons.  So I was trying to figure out a way to let everyone/anyone know what I knew about the "specials" of the day.  Some great finds are only available for 24 hours or less.  I realized that twitter was the only medium to get a quick message out to whoever wanted it.  I signed up just now and you can follow me at  www.twitter.com/deenbom   If you'd like to hear about sales and coupons.  I've already tweeted up a storm with a coupon/sales at Osh Kosh B'gosh (which now has clothes available online) and The Children's Place.  I also included a really cool water bottle that looks just like the kind a serious biker (bicyclist) uses.  My favorite triathlete has one (Kim, I'm talking about you!)  If you're not already on twitter, you can easily sign up  HERE 


I promise to post about how I save money on groceries and clothes and some miscellaneous stuff with coupons, but it's already late and I don't want leave out any helpful information for some of you newbies to couponing. 


I got so excited there, I forgot to tell you about my day...  I was really busy with laundry all day.  Our clothes dryer is TERRIBLE at drying clothes, especially in a timely manner.  I wanted to save money on our electricity bill too.  So I've started hanging the clothes out to dry on my umbrella-shaped clothes line.  I took a picture to document it for my blog.  I was especially proud of my homemade clothespin holder (front and center.)  I used a lingerie/delicate garment bag that the zipper kept coming open during the wash.  (my bras always seemed to escape the bag.)  I stuck a kid's size hanger in the top center and voila!  A new clothespin holder/hanger.
I should mention that the zipper does stay closed when not being used in the washing machine.


But Oh No!  During the afternoon, I heard thunder!  I went outside to save my clothes from becoming soaked.  I am terrified of the thought of being struck by lightning!  I thought I was quite brave to take a photo of my laundry and the sky before my impending (possible) doom.  As you can imagine after removing all of the clothes I still had to take down the clothesline shaped like an umbrella, made completely of some type of lightweight metal.  I was thinking I was going to be struck by lightning for sure while trying to retract it quickly. 
But I made it safely inside and even had time to run to the Dollar Tree by my house to get a few things.  I'm embarrassed to say that I had 4 things on my list and walked out with about 40 things on my receipt!  I LOVE THE DOLLAR TREE!  


Then I gave hair cuts to the 3 men in my family.  (the youngest two are pictured here.)
 I have been cutting my husband's and my oldest son's hair occasionally, but today was the first time I "buzzed" my 3 year old's hair (at his request). 
 I had fully intended on letting my good friend, Joy do it next week, but because he wanted me to, I thought I'd try it.  He looks TOTALLY different!  But at least not terrible.  I was worried that a cut with clippers (the only kind of haircuts I can do) wouldn't be flattering to his face, but I was wrong.  He still looks cute.


Tonight after dinner and getting the kids tucked in I really wanted to dye my hair (my gray hair, that is) but instead got caught up in rearranging the small appliances and whatnot on the kitchen counters.  I'm not sure what got me started on that bunny trail, but kind of like when rearranging the furniture in a room, the kitchen now has a whole new feel to it.  And after that I wanted to make sure I talked to you before bed.  Whew!  I've had a busy, yet productive day.  Now, I'm off to fold some laundry!
Thanks for reading my blog.

3 comments:

  1. Daniel looks adorable. And super grown up! Good job on their hair. I always think I'll mess it up. Luckily buzz cuts can't go too wrong! (Well, they can...I once made Jace nearly bald. Oh well)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the compliment on D's haircut. Sorry to hear about Jace's nearly bald incident. Why don't I remember that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the blog Laura! It's nice to hear what you are up to. The layout looks great! Kiddos are so cute with their haircuts too. I'm not brave enough to try cutting Matthew's at home.
    Love, Amy :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you have to say about my new blog. Leave me a comment.