Monday, July 26, 2010

I like to save money.

Besides getting my house in order I also want to share with you some of my secrets to saving money on items we all "need." Items like groceries and clothes come to mind. I don't have the ability to buy the "wants" right now, but maybe someday...

I mainly wanted to share my shopping experience yesterday at Kohl's. Let me give you the backstory: A few weeks ago Kohl's sent out a $10 gift card in the mail to I think just about anyone in a certain vicinity of the New Port Richey or Clearwater Kohl's stores. The next day (it was a Tuesday) in the St. Petersburg Times newspaper on the front page was a peel off sticker for $10 off your $20 purchase at Kohl's. Let's just say that I bought 5 additional newspapers that day! I gave away a couple of the stickers and still had plenty left over for me to use. They were good during 7/14 - 7/24. I went a couple different times during that period to use my stickers and gift card and EACH TIME at the checkout the cashier handed me a $10 Kohl's cash certificate good ONLY on kids' apparel during 7/25 - 7/31.



On Saturday (7/24) I was at Kohl's in NPR (New Port Richey) and two ladies in the store gave me their $10 certificates saying that they didn't have any children to shop for anymore (their children were grown). So I ended up with 8 of those $10 certificates. The awesome part about these certificates was that the minimum purchase was $10, not $20 (like the stickers on the newspapers).

Yesterday I found some great long sleeve shirts for my boys and some summer stuff for my daughter and organized it carefully so that each transaction would be slightly over $10 (as close as I could get it.) I didn't try to hard to get it close to $10 because I had all three kids with me and that made shopping/thinking clearly very difficult. I took the time to tally my receipts today and compare my savings.

Just so you know, I am not trying to brag about my purchases/savings, I just want to share my excitement. I realize you may be TOTALLY bored with this post, but that's okay (just let me know, please) I just NEED to share this awesome score at Kohl's with someone other than my husband (who doesn't really care that much).

And as a disclaimer, I don't pay much attention to the "total savings" amounts. Mainly because I would never buy something for full price (okay, maybe SOMEthing) and the prices are SO inflated that it doesn't really reflect the actual value of the clothing.

So with that said, here are my tallies: TOTAL SAVED: $177.47
TOTAL SPENT: $30.53. Here is one of seven receipts from yesterday's visit to Kohl's

I used 7 certificates and 7 different transactions (in a row) and bought 9 long sleeved shirts for the boys...

and 3 complete outfits for my daughter.

I want to help EVERYONE I know (and don't even know yet) learn how to save money while shopping. I plan on using this blog to alert my friends to the time-sensitive deals so that you too can save money on the everyday things we all need.

I will also be sharing some of my favorite "money-saving websites" in another post. See you tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. I love it! Love Kohls too. I like your blog, and I appreciate any money saving tips too! Great job, Laura! :)
    Kim Thomas

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you have to say about my new blog. Leave me a comment.